Fast fashion and sustainability
Week 6
The debate of sustainability vs fast fashion is something close to my own personal design philosophy, I want to create quality and accountability, I want to be able to reach my consumer, have pride in my work and my designs, I think that to create the right environment for sustainability is to create garments that engage the consumer yet, slowly move from staples of cotton and polyester into new technologies which wont alienate the consumer. Theirs a stigma that comes with sustainability that can’t just be ignored, it isn’t just hessian shacks and hippie garb, it’s beautiful and different, the feel of bamboo vs. cotton is amazing its soft and maluable its easy to clean, yet the pros seem to be weighed down by the FALSE con’s voiced throughout the design world.
These designers have proved this:
http://www.stique.com/
http://www.leanimal.com/#/home
http://www.slingfings.com.au/
http://www.asiaticakc.com/clothing.html
http://www.lindaloudermilk.com/
http://www.freidesigns.com/
http://www.velvetleafclothing.com/HOME.html
I think the serious ramifications of the industries current path is catastrophic, with a slight tweaking of current practise we as young designers could completely reinvent the industry, we should see it as a scope for creativity not a burden like many do.
After todays debate, I've chosen to keep this post rather loose, a little bit wound up this is one topic that really IRKS me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment